This graph, from the 2007 UUA Financial Advisor's report (thanks Philocrites) shows the trend in on-the-book UU adults since merger. We went down by almost half in the 1968 - 78 decade, stagnant since then.
But this last week, a survey came out. It appears that, overall, the fastest growing religious affiliation is 'None'. I haven't been able to run the numbers yet, (still searching around for some figures) but I combining what I know about UU and what I read, I get the following insights (for the USA):
- On-the-books UU is growing, albeit slowly.
- UUs a percentage of all adults are falling off slightly (just as the figure shows.)
- UUs as a percentage of all church-attending adults are holding steady.
- UUs as a percentage of all denominationally affiliated adults are growing.
- Largest growth was in the numbers of unchurched.
- Next were those who affiliated with non-denominational churches.